Monday, April 17, 2006

A place called home: Part 1

Stayin at Bangalore, u mite presume is one of the best things to happen, I also thiught the same, i loved my hometown Coimbatore, a nice quiet sleepy City, full of Millionaires and Lots of little hills to trek all over the place, Traffic at it's busiest junction could be the compared to that on Bannerghatta road on Sunday afternoons: But Of course it does have all the necessary aminities like a Pizza Hut and an Adidas Store, the only worry i ever had was what if the communal riots that rocked the place in the late 90's would recurr??

I actually was not at all affected by all that Bombs going on out in the city, we lived in quite a sensible neighbourhood, where the only explosion was that of a gas cylinder which claimed the life on unlucky fellow :

It has been eight years if I'am correct Since those stupid riots, It is still the same city, a pLace which I could actually call home: I never really stayed at a place long enough to remember it as well as this City,

Madras---->Gudiyattham----->Vellore---->Manathavady----->Dinanagar----->Awankha----->Coimbatore---->Pilani---->Bangalore---->??

I presume other than 3 places all the other places can't be exactly identified even with a map in your hand

Was born in Madras have quite a Huge bunch of relatives out there, usually people whom i tend to sty away from , the exception being my sis who currently resides in chennai, I kinda always liked the place, the city was Sultry, dirty, Full of Cranky autowallahs,and a lovely beach,

Madras was the place I always used to go during holidays, from all those places where I stayed in, we used to spend about 15 days at madras, followed by a trip to salem , then to my mom's ancestral place Theevatipatti, another curious thing, almost all the villages near Omalur which is near salem have names which end with a patti, Pusaripatti, neikarpatti are the ones which i remember now, when i take a bus from coimbatore to Bnagalore, You usually pass through all these places.
I have'nt actually gone there in some 7 odd years : Theevatipatti was usually loads of fun, almost all my Maternal cousins would Land up there, and we used to be a huge bunch of people out there, I used to lead my cousins on treks over small hillocks , there used to be loads of them: We used to play cricket, and loads of stupid word games, and maybe ludo and Trade too, All i rember was that these excursions started getting a little bugging after i turned 12 odd, I was heavily into books then, Had read almost all the books that were at home, I actually was quite a heavy reader then, two newspapers, Time, Reader's Digest, India today and 3-4 Novels a week( and the odd debonair which me and my friend hammy used to flick from his uncle)of course noone knew about this extra bit of reading. when books happened, U actually did not want to travel when u could do it sitting at the lawns on a nice sunny day during winter.
then the trip to my dad;s ancestral place Pullur, it is actually quite a small village, It got it's own bus service sometime in the late 90's : to reach there, you had to take a bus to chennai from salem. This village was about 225 Km from Madras , u had to stop at a get down at a place called Veppur , Pullur was about 5 odd Km from here, once in a while You would get a taxi , which usually was a rare sight in those parts, but yes there was this ambassador which i do remember: otherwise, there used to be someone from my grampa's farm out there to recieve as anytime of the day, there used to be this rickety Tvs 50 , which used to carry our luggage, while me and my family walked , This was when i was about 8-9 , that is when , u actually did not mind walking, Papa used to tell us a story usually,and it used to be quite nice, u were the only people on the road, another Vivid memory is that i actually never remember anyone wearing a pair of trousers, of course the kids and the early 20 group did wear them, : it used to be a place full of vesthi's ::

There was a small rivulet on the way, which as far as i remeber was always a dry bed, there was another one about 2 km from my Grampa's place, It was called by a quite peculiar name, which I cannot recollect now; We used to go to that place with an uncle, there used to loads of my relations all over the place, all of them owned land and somehow, you came to Understand that everyone you saw was a relative, There used to be one really Old Thattha, he was somehow related to us , and he served in the indian army and actaully fought in WW II, he was fighting for britan in europe, he stuck out as an oddity , because he used to converse in english with all of us kid's
He was another nice story teller:
Speaking of story telling, Both My grand mom's were brilliant, they used to be a source of brilliant entertainment : even when a televison was there, I stayed with Thatta -Patti In vellore for a year i guess, My uncle was also there, while my parents were at Manathavady: Gotta end this post, It is getting quite long and i have'nt even finished the chennai part,: will post later::


P.s got a nice background for my blog, It is a painting by dali, It does make reading it quite a bit troublesome , but actually not taht many People read it, If u are reading it Please scroll Down, It becomes quite clear on the Top Right:

And the usual : It is gonna be full of spelling mistakes, and Ylrs'que sentences as alllen calls what I write

No comments: